Munford First United Methodist Church was first organized as Mount Zion in 1840, while later it adopted the name of its hometown.
The Town of Munford can trace its origins to the early 1850’s when the Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church moved to the current site of the Bethel Church of God in Christ in downtown Munford. Soon afterward, a small unplanned village grew-up around the growing Methodist church that would officially be named "Mt. Zion" after the Post Office opened there in 1856.
There are no available records of the earliest history of the church (Mt. Zion) but we do know that the first church building was constructed of logs and lighted by candles perhaps made by the heroic wives of the pioneers.
The first church was organized by Rev. Isaac Sullivan and built on the old Alexander place about one mile from town. The place was later owned by Ed Scott.
Mt. Zion Church was first on the Randolph Circuit in the Somerville District. The only record we have of the size of the church was written in 1858 to Rev. W. H. Adams, an esteemed preacher who lived in our midst. Rev. Adams was licensed to preach in 1842.
Randolph Circuit was extended from Randolph to Shiloh. It Included Gratitude, Macedonia, Pleasant Ridge, Bethel, Harmony, Union, Barton, Shelton, Little John, Poplar Grove, Randolph, E. O. Shelton's Mt. Zion, Palestine, Shiloh and Salem - 16 appointments. The combined membership of these churches was 437 whites and 75 African Americans. Of this number, 53 whites and 10 African Americans were members of the Mt. Zion Church.
In 1886, the decision was made to move the church to the town of Mt. Zion. Rev. M. H. Cullum was pastor. W. H. and C. S. Wooten, administrators of the estate of A. D. Wooten, gave one acre of land for a church site and deeded it to A. S. Hunt, James Densford, W. A. Turnage, Mack Drummonds, James W. Brooks and W. McWright. On this lot a neat frame church was erected. The lot was in the center of town and the church stood a little west of where the Bill McGowan Insurance building now stands.
In 1911, under the ministry of the Rev. Mack Jenkins, the decision was made to build a more substantial house of worship. Land was purchased and the church was erected in the present location.
The church has made steady progress since its organization in 1840, with several additions built, a staff of seven who assist the pastor in leading an effective ministry, and many volunteers who give their time and leadership to serve the church and do God's work. Two services are now provided, one tradition and one casual.